Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Blue Jars


At a recent visit to the Hawk & Ivy Bed and Breakfast in North Carolina I discovered the "blue jars". These antique mason jars lined the open shelving in the kitchen of the inn. Fully functional with nuts, seeds, coffee, and grains they were the highlight of the kitchen. While staying in the Asheville area I peaked around a few antique markets and scored, a slew of "blue jars". While they were not cheap they were definitely worth it. I use them daily for oats, tea, & coffee. Although I have not researched the value of the my jars it is my understanding that they vary in worth. According to a commenter on the Martha Stewart Wedding site, “Antique mason jars are eagerly sought after by collectors, and are bought and sold not only through antique stores, but also on auction sites such as eBay. While most jars sell for only a few dollars, some have sold for as high as $30,000. The value of a jar is related to its age, rarity, and condition.” 

Here are some pictures of the jars in my kitchen....



 And this is the inn where I first discovered these beautiful, yet functional antiques...

No comments: