A close friend recently launched her eco-friendly grocery bag line right here in Charleston. The beautiful chocolate brown bags are stylish & sturdy. From an organizer's perspective they create order in the trunk, folding up neat and flat. From a "green" perspective, the message is clear. RE think it! With messages printed on the bag, designed to make us think while inspiring us to do better. My favorite part are the cute side pockets made especially for a pot of herbs or your natural cleaning products. Right now the bags are available at Expressions Art & Framing on Daniel Island (next to Publix).
Thursday, October 9, 2008
During these tough economic times I though I would reserve Thursday's blog topic for green, healthy ways to save some cash. Here is a great recipe for a yummy soup I just made for the kids. Not only is it healthy & hearty, but it is an inexpensive meal. I bought all the ingredients at Whole Foods, but made sure I got the generic 365 brand to save money.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot sliced in discs
Saute the above till the onions are clear then add the below ingredients and let simmer 45 minutes or till lentils are soft
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- dash of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- dash salt
- can of diced tomatoes
Take a small loaf of fresh bread, slice thinly, toss in a bit of olive oil and sea salt, bake till crispy.
Serve soup with croutons and parmesan cheese on top.... Enjoy!
Money Saving Tip: Eating Vegetarian is a great way to save money!
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Don't forget to head down to Marion Square this weekend for the Yoga-thon benefiting Louie's Kids. The event will take place on Saturday October 11th from 12-2 pm. Join the yoga community for 108 Sun Salutations to fight childhood obesity. Interested in participating or donating? Check out the web site, www.louieskids.org
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Here are a few tips to keep the paper stacks to a minimum:
1. Only let paper touch your hands once. File it, shred it, or recycle it RIGHT AWAY!
2. Keep your files within reach so you can easily file what you must keep.
3. Reduce your junk mail at www.greendimes.com
4. Email companies who send you catalogs and tell them you prefer to shop on-line
5. Sign up for on-line bill pay and e-bills
6. Have a file for every member of the family and purge them on recycle day
7. Stop all of the unwanted credit card offers from arriving at your doorstep at www.optoutprescreen.com