It is a known fact that individual waste production increases between Thanksgiving and New Years. So I thought I would offer up a few ways to keep it green. Here are a few of my favorite eco-friendly holiday ideas:
- Instead of buying wrapping paper consider reusing things around the house. For example children's finger paintings make colorful and festive wrapping, brown bags from the grocery store, use paper from your shredder to pack fragile items. All of these items do not require any new production and can be recycled.
- Decorate your tree with popcorn and cranberries which can be composted later.
- Shop locally! Check out Global Awakenings, a fair trade shop, located downtown Charleston. Not only are you supporting a locally owned store, but the people who produce the products are paid a fair wage for their service. As Marin Anderson the shop owner says, "Shop locally, help globally!" The store is also environmentally friendly, providing lots of great eco-friendly gifts.
- Give the gift of time, talent, or service.
- Donate to a good cause in honor of a loved one.
- Check out http://www.gaiam.com/ you can have a tree planted when you ship a gift.